What do civil litigation lawyers do? These important law practitioners help people navigate the process of filing a lawsuit that is civil, or non-criminal, in nature. Their work starts by advising clients about whether they have a case at all, whether their case has a better chance in or out of court, and what kind of terms they should be seeking or be willing to accept. Civil litigation lawyers deal with issues of:
- Personal injury claims
- Alimony and related divorce issues
- Discrimination suits
- Settlements related to debt
- Medical malpractice
- Real estate lawsuits
- Product liability claims
- Environmental law
- Business disputes
Do You Need A Lawyer?
If you have any interest in filing a lawsuit, you will almost certainly need a legal professional on your side. Civil litigation is complicated, and even a minor mistake in filing or wording can sink a case. A civil litigation lawyer has the expertise you need to understand all the steps and procedures of a case, from the enormous amount of paperwork to the proper filing deadlines, to mediation and other resolution requirements. Perhaps most importantly of all, civil litigation lawyers are placed to help you understand if you have a case at all and whether you should proceed.
How Much Does a Lawyer Cost?
Attorneys bill in different ways, so it’s a good idea to check around and see what might be best for your needs. Some charge by the hour, while others charge a percentage of what you win in a case. If your case is strong, an attorney will likely be willing to work for a percentage. If your case is not very good, expect competent civil litigation lawyers to either try to talk you out of it, or to charge an hourly fee. In the end, though, it will probably actually save you money to hire a lawyer. That’s because using a competent legal professional ensures you avoid all fines, court costs, and penalties that can add up quickly.
What Do I Look For?
There are several things you should be looking for as you consider the right lawyer for you.
- Can you talk to them? A lawyer’s purpose is to help you solve problems and fight for your rights. This can’t be done unless you can be completely honest with your lawyer, so be sure to get an attorney you feel comfortable talking to.
- Someone experienced in your area. The law is vast and complicated and lawyers can be highly specialized. It’s important to look for civil litigation lawyers if you’re interested in prosecuting a civil lawsuit. Even better, look for lawyers who are experienced in your particular area of need.
- Look for someone willing to talk to you for free. The first time you meet with the lawyer you should just be explaining your issue and finding out if there’s a reason to continue. Many good civil litigation lawyers will be happy to talk to you once for free and help you get an idea of where you stand.
- Ask for recommendations. Ask around among your friends and family for a recommendation. Word of mouth is often more reliable than advertisements.
- Consult with the bar association. Bar associations in your area will usually be happy to refer you to a lawyer with the specific expertise you’re looking for. This can help you cut through the noise and find someone actually qualified and reliable to take your case.
Finding the right lawyer is crucial to getting a good outcome if you hope to prosecute a civil lawsuit. To learn more, look for lawyers in your area that can help you understand the merits of your personal injury claim or other civil litigation lawsuit.