According to the American Psychological Association, 40 to 50 percent of married couples in the United States end in divorce.
In the 1950s, the median age for married men was 23 for men and 20 for women. In 2004, those numbers grew to 27 for men and 26 for women. Couples who dated for at least three years before their engagement were 39 percent less likely to get divorced than couples who dated for less than a year before tying the knot.
The reasons for divorce vary greatly, but one of the biggest reasons is infidelity. According to the Journal of Family Issues, infidelity is the leading cause of divorce at 21.6 percent. Additionally, couples therapists say that 50 percent of their case load is due to infidelity.
The Journal of Family issues also found that couples divorce because of incompatibility (19.2 percent) and drinking or drug abuse (10.6 percent).
Whatever the reason for a divorce, navigating it is a tricky situation. An amicable divorce can make things easier for both parties, but a less than amicable divorce can result in hurt feelings, resentment and messy battles in court over who gets what.
With that in mind, hiring a divorce lawyer can make the process easier. Here are five reasons hiring a Boca Raton divorce lawyer can make the divorce process easier for you:
- Mediation: Many couples going through divorce have lots of pent up emotions that come out in divorce proceedings. As a result, there can be a lot of name-calling back and forth and no desire to reach a resolution. Divorce lawyers can serve as mediators to help make the process more civil.
- Custody: Custody battles can lead to a lot of messy situations and stress for both parents and their children.
In 29 percent of custody cases, a decision was reached without a third party, but in a lot of cases having a divorce lawyer is a big help. A Boca Raton divorce lawyer can help you navigate the situation and let each parent know what their rights are.
- Support: A Boca Raton divorce lawyer can provide plenty of legal advice, but divorce can be very trying emotionally and a divorce lawyer can ultimately be someone to talk to. Divorce lawyers can be a vessel through which someone going through divorce can vent, express concerns and come to terms with the changes going on in their life.
- Rights: A Boca Raton divorce lawyer is well-versed in divorce law and knows what each party is entitled to in a divorce. Knowing your rights is important and a good divorce lawyer will be able to come up with a resolution that’s agreeable and fair to both parties.
- Fair and Fast Procedure: Going through a long, painful divorce can take its toll emotionally and monetarily. A Boca Raton divorce lawyer can help speed up the process, help reach an agreeable settlement and can help divide property and assets.
A good Boca Raton divorce lawyer can help ease the stress of divorce by being an effective mediator, negotiator and source of support for all parties involved. If you’re in need of a Boca Raton divorce lawyer, Justia and other sites can help you find the right person for divorce help.